This dish, very typical for southern Italy, can be literally translated as “whore’s spaghetti”. Italians say the history of this name remains unclear, must most probably it was used by the prostitutes in brothels to attract clients with the delirious smell. Moreover, it was fast and cheap, and it combined all typical ingredients – not surprising it is one of the most beloved dishes even nowadays. I saw a lot of strange recipes of spaghetti all puttanesca (even one with pesto), but I can assure you this one is the most traditional and spread all over Italy.
Time of preparation: 20 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- Ingredients (4 portions):
- Spaghetti ____ 400 grams
- Tomatoes____500 grams
- Black olives__100 grams
- Anchovies___ 4 (I make vegetarian version without anchovies)
- Capers______ 1 table spoon
- Garlic _______ 1-2 cloves
- Parsley______ 1 tablespoon
- Chili pepper (fresh or powder) to taste
- Salt to taste
1. Wash anchovies and capers under the running water to get rid of salt, after dry them and cut. Fry anchovies with chopped garlic and chili in large non-stick pan.
2. Remove the skin and the seeds of the tomatoes, cut them in dices.
3. Cut olives and add to the pan together with capers. In 3 minutes add tomatoes and cook about 10-15 minutes on the low flame. After add salt and one tablespoon of parsley.
4. In the meanwhile boil spaghetti in the salty water (if you want to have a real Italian taste, let them slightly hard in the middle, so called al dente). Drain, add to the pan, mix well, and serve with the remaining parsley.