Falafel – is an Israeli fast-food, but in the good sense of the word: in Israel it can be bought on every corner, and people usually eat it right on the street. The dish is very rich of proteins and healthy, and funny enough it smells and tastes like fried meatballs being totally vegan.
Time of preparation: 40 minutes Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients (4 portions):
- Chickpeas ___250grams
- Bulgur______50 grams (optionally)
- Garlic_______3 cloves
- Flour_______100 grams
- Coriander___30 grams
- Cumin______1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder_3grams
- Salt________1/2 teaspoon
- Chili pepper__1/2 teaspoon
There are two versions how to prepare falafel. The first one is longer but more correct, the second one is esier – as the dish is very tasty in both cases you can select the preferred way of cooking yourself.
1. Put chickpeas in water for 24 hours. It’s better to change the water from time to time.
2. Boil chickpeas al dentre; pour out ¾ of water. Add spices, garlic, onion, half of the flour, bulgur (keep it in water for 30 minutes before adding) and coriander; manually mash into homogeneous mixture. Form the balls, roll into flour (optionally), and fry in the deep frying pan on a lot of oil (around 2 minutes from both sides). Take out, put on the paper towel to get rid of extra oil.
3. Alternative version: put raw chickpeas in the food processor; add onion, salt, 100 ml of water and blend. Then add coriander, garlic, bulgur (put it in the boiling water for a minute before adding), mix and let for 30 minutes. After add chili pepper, baking powder and 50 grams of flour. Mix well; form the balls, roll into flour (optionally), and fry in the deep frying pan on a lot of oil (around 2 minutes from both sides). Take out, put on the paper towel to get rid of extra oil.
The classic way of serving falafel is: to grease pita with hummus, after put into cut pickles and marinated chilies, five balls of falafel, slices of tomatoes and cover with amba or tahini sauce.