Time of preparation: 100 minutes Difficulty: Middle
- Sugar________100 grams (caster)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Flour________ 125 grams
- Pinch of salt
- Butter________75 grams
- Sugar________200 grams
- Milk__________500 ml
- Cinnamon_____1 pinch
- Zest of an orange
- Ricotta cheese_350 grams
- Semolina_____ 125 grams
- Dark chocolate__200 grams
- Heavy Cream __ 200ml
1. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and zest of lemon. Add diced butter. Mix everything with hands or cut with a knife, add yolks, form a ball, wrap it in a food cling and put in a fridge for at leas an hour.
2. Heat the milk, add semolina and cook it constantly stirring. Don’t let semolina become too dense and form lumps (in my case three minutes of cooking were enough).
3. Strain ricotta cheese through a strainer. Add sugar and semolina, mix with a whisk. Add orange zest and cinnamon, mix again.
4. Roll out the dough and transfer it in 25-cm (10-inch) baking dish. Pour semolina filling. Bake for 45 minutes on 180C (350F).
5. For glazing melt the chocolate with cream. Cover the cake with chocolate and put it in the fridge to chill.
Few comments: the recipe above is the classic one. The cake comes up very big, so if you are alone or with just one more person and starving friends are not going to visit you – better bake a smaller cake, in 20cm baking dish. For me it is a little bit too sweet, so I would recommend to use no more than 100 grams of sugar for filling. For making dough I took just two yolks, I had big eggs and two were perfectly enough.